Celebrating 20 Years of the Hank Aaron Award

FineAwards.com loves our traditions, and one of our favorites is creating Major League Baseball’s Hank Aaron Award! This year marks the award’s 20th anniversary. To celebrate and also gear up for the 2019 World Series at the end of the month, this week’s blog will be all about the Hank Aaron Award!

Winners of the first Hank Aaron Award in 1999 with Hank Aaron. Left to right: Manny Ramirez, Hank Aaron, Sammy Sosa

The History

The trophy was first awarded in 1999, in honor of the 25th anniversary of when Hank Aaron beat Babe Ruth’s home run record of 714 career home-runs. FineAwards.com is proud to have helped design and create the Hank Aaron Award for its entire 20-year history. It honors the best offensive player in the National and American leagues.

In addition to creating the award, the FineAwards.com Blog also wrote about winners in past years. For a blast from the past, read more about the 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2014 Hank Aaron Award presentations.

 

The Award

The Hank Aaron Award is a custom award made from granite, cherry wood, and antique-finished metal. Major League Baseball (MLB) designed it to represent home plate in a classic yet elegant way. Each maritaca granite base is hand-carved and features a granite-etched MLB logo. An antique-finish metal bat and banner sit on top of the granite base. The granite and metal rest in a cherry-wood base. The entire award weights 12 pounds!

 

Winners and presenters of the 2010 Hank Aaron Award. Left to right: Joey Votto, Hank Aaron, Tim Brosnan, Jose Bautista.

The Winners

While the voting process has changed over the years, a popular vote of baseball fans, broadcasters, and analysts decides each year’s winners. Fans can vote online from a selection of finalists from each league. Fan votes make up 30% of the voting power while the remaining 70% comes from the broadcasters and analysts. The broadcasters and analysts vote for first, second, and third place winners for each league. A first-place vote counts for 5 points, second-place counts for 3, and third counts for 1. MLB adds those points with fan votes to determine the winners every year.

The first-ever winners of the Hank Aaron Award were Manny Ramirez and Sammy Sosa. The most recent winners are Christian Yelich and J.D. Martinez. Alex Rodriguez currently holds the record for most wins, earning the honor 4 times.

Keep an eye out for this FineAwards.com tradition at the World Series this year on October 23! If you want to see more of what FineAwards.com can do with custom awards, check out our custom crystal and custom acrylic award galleries!